Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to do a power steering conversion on my 1965 c10 2wd. I bought the adapter plate and a power steering box for 1973 2wd chevy truck. I also bought a moog k6131 pitman arm. The problem is that when i try to connect the pitman arm to the steering linkage it is pushing itno the crossmember? Like it is to long? I read several write ups and have not heard of this issue. I did read one that said they used the Moog k6143 pitman arm so i bought that thinking it was different but it looks exactly the same? i dont what else to do? The steering box looks like all the others i have seen? Any one run into this issue?

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I am trying to do a power steering conversion on my 1965 c10 2wd. I bought the adapter plate and a power steering box for 1973 2wd chevy truck. I also bought a moog k6131 pitman arm. The problem is that when i try to connect the pitman arm to the steering linkage it is pushing itno the crossmember? Like it is to long? I read several write ups and have not heard of this issue. I did read one that said they used the Moog k6143 pitman arm so i bought that thinking it was different but it looks exactly the same? i dont what else to do? The steering box looks like all the others i have seen? Any one run into this issue?
chopperkell welcome to the forum glad to have you here, sorry for your misfortune...first off when you bought the adapter plate who`s the MFG and did they send install templates?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its from REZ engineering. There weren't any templates. It lined up with to factory bolt holes and then you drilled one more. The forth was a stud off the plate for the lowest bolt. Had to drill the threads on the pump to slide over the stud. Per instruction.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Mine is a Rez kit as well, my steering arms are about 1/8 of an inch from the crossmember, that was the only kit out there in 1993...but it has been fine otherwise..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant even get mine to go straight. I can only get the pitman arm connected to the steering components by turning all the way to the left. when I bolt it up and go to turn it, it will hit before it even gets straight. it is jamming into the crossmember? I do have 2 1/2" drop spindles but the manual steering had no problem with it. turns just fine. only when I bolt up the power steering box? Are there shorter pitman arms? I cant figure this out.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Chopper several questions arise,...is your draglink stock `65..? maybe bent...? or is it from a donor truck..? Do you have a friend with similar truck you can look at the draglink under his..? This pic from (Lost my 65) thread from another forum is your drag link flipped over easily done without knowing it..this is the correct position. stock height truck with power steering conversion..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I don't know how your arm is indexed but try moving it one way or the other. I changed the arm on my 93 and was having the same problem which made no sence to me. I found I had some how put the arm on in the wrong place after changing it several times I got it right. I don't know how that happened or why. Just that it did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe its all stock. with the manual steering box on it turns just fine. Only when I mount the power steering box. all my linkage looks just like your does. The one thing I am noticing it that on your picture the steering box doesn't seem to hang below the frame? you can kind of see on my picture that my steering box hangs below the frame rail quite a bit. It is where the REZ kit puts it ? If it where to be up on the frame more it would probably work. it would be like if you where to lower you box like a inch your steering would probably hit. you say you used the REZ kit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how your arm is indexed but try moving it one way or the other. I changed the arm on my 93 and was having the same problem which made no sence to me. I found I had some how put the arm on in the wrong place after changing it several times I got it right. I don't know how that happened or why. Just that it did.
what do you mean? the pitman arm?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
the arm that goes on the steering gear box. With the steering wheel going straight and the wheels going straight dose the arm line up with the gearbox you could be 1/4 off which would give you your problem

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I believe its all stock. with the manual steering box on it turns just fine. Only when I mount the power steering box. all my linkage looks just like your does. The one thing I am noticing it that on your picture the steering box doesn't seem to hang below the frame? you can kind of see on my picture that my steering box hangs below the frame rail quite a bit. It is where the REZ kit puts it ? If it where to be up on the frame more it would probably work. it would be like if you where to lower you box like a inch your steering would probably hit. you say you used the REZ kit?
My truck is buried in the shop right now, I have try and get a look at it, the pic shown is another member, his mounting plate was thru Captain Fab on the 67 to 72 board which is a much better plate with template, mine was done 24 years ago and Rez was the only one out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

Hey chopperkell. I came across this site and seem to be having the exact same problem as you are with the pitman arm. Was wondering if you figured it out yet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts