Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, have to admit, I finally "officially" joined the forum even though I have referenced the site hundreds of times because of the amazing info all you guys have and share.....hopefully sometime I can repay with some info of my own!!
Now on to my issue:
1965 C/10 Custom, recently started installing a Painless Wiring harness as well as a new Dakota Digital Dash. Here is what I have, headlights, brights, wipers, motor turns over, dash/gauges seem to work.
Here is where I am hung up, and hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. No taillights (running/brake/blinkers), and no running lights up front.

*The lights up front have power all the way to the bulbs, but lights do not turn on, and I have put new bulbs in, so ordered new sockets-----just waiting on them to get here, do you guys think this is the issue? Is there a ground from these lights? I only have the 2 wires that go to each light. (blinker, and running light)
* Tail lights is where I am feeling very discouraged, Ordered new buckets/sockets but they are not here, but my concern is I have no power going to any of the wires, just using a basic test light I am not getting anything from any wire. How do I ground the rear section, run a ground from the twilight bucket to the frame? or bucket to body to frame?
**I am so thankful for any advice out there!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sounds to me as though you are not grounding the fixture Be sure you have a ground between the battery and the frame Then from battery to cab. Then ground from frame to bed You may even have to ground the fixtures to the body to be sure your getting ground
battery to frame #8 or 10 frame to lights 14 or 16

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie,
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think about the ground from the bed to frame...I am hoping that is my issue, I will do the others as well. The way the grounds sit now is: battery to frame, motor to frame, cab to motor, cab to frame....
Any guess ok my front parking lights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if your still out there but wanted to give you an update. I now have all of the lights working.....except my tail lights. My blinkers work back there but not the regular lights? Any idea, first thought was bad ground but since my signals and hazards work back there I think I can rule that out. Also I do not have the license plate light wired in, would that affect it?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Yeah I'm still around HAHAHA The fact that your signals are working is good BUT they could be picking up ground through the running lights ground the fixtures and no the plate light has nothing to do with the others It should come on with the headlights and tail lights. By picking up ground I mean they will see ground through the other lights and work. Its just an electrical thing. Another thing t drive us crazy.anim_25

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
yeah I know some of this can be a pain. Wait till the day you can't buy the socket and you have to rebuild them from other parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update.. grounded lights directly to frame, nothing, ran a jumper wire from power source wire to the tail light wire in the switch harness and they came on. So I guess that shows me the harness/grounds/wires are good. I would then guess it is the switch, used the original switch and a brand new switch and nothing. Tested the continuity on the switch and each switch shows no continuity between the power terminal and tail light terminal, I cannot imagine both these switches are broken the exact same way?!?! I was on the phone with painless wiring tech and he is dumbfounded as well...ugh...

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Have you checked the brake light switch ? Its under the dash at the brake pedal...!
Maybe this will help, this is Jolly`s gmc page although inactive he still keeps it going. note when using this page use the diagram marked for 64 to 66, Chevy and GMC the same...a lot of good info here...ensure you have the correct bulbs in the rear as well 1157 bulbs...
http://6066gmcguy.com/Electrical-01.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts