Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Would like to get some recommendations on installing hood springs. I've seen a couple of videos in youtube attaching springs to a floor jack and placing a rod to stretch out the spring. Funny thing is, the guy doesn't show how he installed it from there.

Just wondering if there is a better way and maybe a video I am just not seeing.

Thank for the help!!!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I have used a piece of electrical conduit, flattened down some what at the one end, slight notch cut into the top of the flattened end so to hook it and use the conduit to fulcrum the spring on..use this with caution, maybe even lay a large towel of rag over it when done this way...

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have used a LARGE screwdriver with layers cardboard and rags on the windshield. Not that hard I just don't like buying new glass

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bad64C10,
I just went through this about 2 months ago. I used a floor jack (like in the videos). What I did was raise the jack as high as it would go and then I inserted large/thick washers between the coils of the springs. Buy a fair amount, the more the better.

After that just lower your jack and install onto your truck. You might want to have a helper to help keep the spring in place on one end as you attempt to put the other end in place. Mine would slip out of the notch occasionally and a buddy ended up helping me out.

I started by inserting the end closest to the firewall and then went to install opposite end. Took a few attempts but we got it. After that since I didn't have hood installed I just took the washers out one at a time. I have seen where the weight of the hood (installed) helps to decompressor the spring when closed and the washers are supposed to just fall out but I haven't tried that method yet. I did end up installing my hood about a month later.

-Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the advice and help. I think Ill try the Flat washers and see how that goes.

Again thank you guys so much, its really cool the knowledge and helpful guys on this thread. Much appreciated. By the way are any of you guys in the Atlanta Area?

I am located in Marietta, GA

Thank again

Best

Tony

·
Registered
539 Posts
No problem Tony, CFisher and Rich406 amongst others on here are always full of knowledge and info when it comes to these trucks. First time for me owning one so I'm learning as I go. I'm in Houston, we are currently hunkered down in preparation of Hurricane Harvey.

-Mark

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I'm in Houston, we are currently hunkered down in preparation of Hurricane Harvey.

-Mark
hope you and yours are safe Mark...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts