Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Sorry I was MIA, had some login issues and my chrome browser messed up on me.

A guy asked me if I can do a body swap he has an 2000 S10 truck that has been c notched with full air ride system on it.

Has anyone seen or done that swap?? My questions are strength, much narrower frame rails and reliability. I've talked to some restoration companies and Frame companies about this and each said they would not attempt that swap. So much more available aftermarket parts now to make a truck handle and ride better.

I've tried to steer this guy away from the S10 but he is dead set on having it done.

S10 swap is good for the 1940s and up but the 1960s C10 just seems to be too much weight and he wants to put a bunch of speakers in the bed for competition use.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
what is wrong with original frame???
I think I'd look for a heavier frame maybe a late model Either way your in for a lot of work why not do it just once

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Hey Guys,

S10 swap is good for the 1940s and up but the 1960s C10 just seems to be too much weight and he wants to put a bunch of speakers in the bed for competition use.

Thanks

Tony
You nailed it on the head....I can`t offer any help here, some have tried and the builds went south and haven't heard any more from the builders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

Just what I thought for the First Gen C10's, The 1962 C10 frame is all hacked up from the previous owners attempt at C notching the frame and its all bad!!!!

So the new owner of the 62 bought the S10 that is already C notched the right way with air bags. Still the concern is the weight and the narrowness of the S10 build and the bracing.

Thank guys for your recommendations and knowledge.

Tony :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My question/Frame

I thought I read somewhere that 1960 - 1972 were the same wheelbase. Using
the 72 frame would give you disc brakes & PS & PB. Will this idea work & has anyone done it ?

Stepsider65fahne19

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that 1960 - 1972 were the same wheelbase. Using
the 72 frame would give you disc brakes & PS & PB. Will this idea work & has anyone done it ?

Stepsider65fahne19
Some have..you have to relocate body mounts, still easier to just do the suspension swap...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry I was MIA, had some login issues and my chrome browser messed up on me.

A guy asked me if I can do a body swap he has an 2000 S10 truck that has been c notched with full air ride system on it.

Has anyone seen or done that swap?? My questions are strength, much narrower frame rails and reliability. I've talked to some restoration companies and Frame companies about this and each said they would not attempt that swap. So much more available aftermarket parts now to make a truck handle and ride better.

I've tried to steer this guy away from the S10 but he is dead set on having it done.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
Hey Tony,

I looked at a S10 but ended up getting a C1500 Chassis from a 93 GMC

It was such an easy body swap... as long as you dont mind loosing 2 inches of the bed depth..

That way i had tons of space for the engine ..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OZ I was told about that year as well and a great choice. This guy wanted a 2000 S10 frame that was alreadcy C notched with air bag system already installed under a 1962 C10.

There's so much out on the market today, and I was thinking that;s not a good swap. I called E-Z Swap owner Ed and spoke with him as referred by the customer. Ed is a super nice guy. He stated the same as his business is for the S10 conversions for 1947-59 Chevy Trucks. Ed stated that he would not recommend using an S10 frame on a 1960-66 C10s. Way to much work bracing and welding. Ed said its been done but there was plenty of issues and the builders usually scrapped the frame and went with something else.

Like you have mentioned a 93 1500 or swap the front cross member as 406Rch has said will do the trick.

Hell, you can even spend the $3K and buy a brand new complete frame with disc brakes, coils and springs from a well known Chassis shop.

Tried to talk to the customer and he hasn't even returned my calls after I spoke with Ed from E-Z Chassis, as I like to do things right. Not that shade tree crap.

Oh well, I got a lot of great advice from you guys :)

Thanks a Bunch

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts