Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What recommendations as to size tires front and back for a 1964 C10 step side? Want to run 18 in wheels to minimize tire flab on the sidewalls ....help maximize handling. Live in dodge-M city of Dallas. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know much about the bigger wheels but after my dad put 22 or 24s on his 66 it really didn't seem to make it handle better. If anything its harder to steer and much harder on the stock frontend. I would do suspension upgrades to get a noticeable performance upgrade in handling. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda thought so too, so front & rear sway bars, prothane suspension, good shocks, springs, & new body mounts, etc. Just wanted suggestions as to what sizes you guys are running.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Runem, start withe the sway bays, just the front wil make a it a whole new truck, everyone that has done it says its a world of differance, currently running 275/60/15`s on all four corners with sway bars, that is the single best mod of our trucks for handling. Any chevy or GMC wrecking yard donor get the 1.25 bar that came on the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, grab all brackets, replace bushings and bolt on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would say if everything was sound (no wore out parts) I would think upgrading the sway bars and and shocks and springs to some oriented toward handling would be where I would start. This would include lowering the center of gravity. All of the above have always helped the handling of my trucks as far as daily driving. I am sure somewhere on here there are members that would be way more up on specifics. Maybe they might chime in.

I know I have seen in forums many of the guys talk about using Hotchkis stuff. You might give them a call and pick their mind as to getting a plan together. They have some very nice parts for 63-66 C10s. anim_25

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have driven some with big inch wheels and next to no sidewalls and didn't like it.steering seemed way to sensitive to me,especially with rack and pinion.I ran the 275/60's for a long tme but went to the 70's cause I wanted to get closer to original tire diameter but still keep decent width.Just my 2 cent input

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
Runem here`s a pic with 18 inch American five spokes...

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
E Aho Laula = Wider is Better

Runem,

Keep in mind stepside vs fleetside makes a difference in regard to rear tire size. The stepside bed is narrower, fender lip to fender lip.

The biggest variable is wheel backspacing. You can get away with really wide rear tires if you have a lot of backspacing.

My '65 C10 had 31-10.5 x 15's in the rear and 235/75R15 on the front when I bought it, all mounted on later model stock chevy 4x4 rally wheels.

I have made a lot of changes since then to accommodate 33X12.5R15's on the rear.. but my truck is now far from stock. Details can be found in my build thread link, shown below in my signature line.

I'm a big fan of the ole school big n' little look... lots of sidewall and rubber rake. ;) Still can't warm up to the Hot Wheels huge wheels with rubber band tires.... Old Dogs and New Tricks I guess?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts