Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

Engine Swap 64 LWB - 283 to 350

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cookseyb 
#1 ·
Well my next project 64 c10 that I just picked up supposedly had a rebuilt 283, but after checking my oil the dip stick revealed a lot of trash in the pan. Although the oil appears to be clean I'm thinking that maybe the previous owners descriptions weren't exactly correct. Unfortunately the old man passed away about a month ago and he had different individuals working on the truck for him due to his failing health. This was his reason for selling the truck.

So what I am getting at is if Im gonna pull the 283 to give it a thorough checking, maybe I should just look into building a 350 with some pep in it. Our trucks are what 3,400 pounds and some change in total weight? I dont know if that small block with a 2 speed power glide will pull like I want it to.
Are the motor mounts location the same for a 283 & 350 or do they need to be moved?
Thanks,
Brim

#2 ·
Hi Brim, a 350 is just bolt for bolt swap so the choice is yours, actually the 350 being a better choice due to the torque values are higher ( we are talking stock ) you may even decide to change to a TH350 as well overall between the two much better drivability...just a side note the c-10 shortbed weighs in at 3,880 lbs, the long bed add another 350 lbs...I`ve had my short bed on two different scales they were within 15 lbs...

#3 ·
406Rich,
Thanks for he info, I didnt realize my truck was that heavy. Makes you kinda wonder why Chevy would release them with such a small v8. On another note the only type of 350 block I would consider is an older one, don't want to run into any additional issues.

-Brim

#4 ·
Truck

Nothing wrong with the 283, In 64 we had much better fuel and higher compression engines compared to the "junk" we have today. The TH 350 would be a better choice for the tranny however. With the proper parts the little mouse motor is a high winding little beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.