Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

1962 CHevy C10 Door Latch Assembly Question

8K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Dzhezzi 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I had a question: so I installed the door latch control and the door latch on my truck last night. The issue is that whenever I go to try to open the door from the inside it seems that the little rod that connects to the door latch doesn't travel enough to actually open the door. I move the door handles toward the back on the truck and it locks just fine. I go the opposite direction, but it does not open the door. I need to open it from the outside.

Am I missing something? Is there some adjustment I should be looking at?

Full disclosure, the door latch control is attached by three screws, well the bottom screw is not really a screw more like a fastener with a nut on the back because the door had a hole where the screw needed to go into. Not sure if it is relevant, but figured I should mention it.

If pictures are needed I will try to get some later today after work and school.

For reference, I have used the following picture form the LMC website(#10 and #7):

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Dzhezzi sign0016 to C10 Trucks Not familiar with the 62 latch assembly but from the picture and what you said I would think you need a longer rod on part #10 It looks like it has an offset. Maybe you can strighten the offset a bit to get the length you need. I'm sure some one on here knows exactly what you need to do. anim_25
Rich may know and I'm sure he will be along

#4 ·
Dshezzi, have you tried to open the door from the inside without using the inside handle, just by grabbing the latch it self, don`t think you want to lengthen the bar just yet, in fact I would think it needs to be shorter, but trying the latch itself might confirm that..is this an original or new latch..? One other question...its been so long sense I converted mine to finger pulls, you press the handle down to lock and pull up to open if memory serves me....?

#5 ·
Hey Rich!

Before I installed the door latch control I could open it by just using the the latch itself, although it was a bit tough. In fact, it was a pain to open it that way, so I sneak my finger to the "back" where there is a plate where the outside door handle hits.

It is a new door latch. My old one was frozen in a locked position. The handle needs to be facing the ground, from what I gather, and you turn toward the front of the truck to lock and the opposite direction to open. I have attached some pictures below.

In the first picture that is where the door latch control is attached to the door latch itself. The second one is my new door latch, and the final one is the actual door latch control I am using.

#6 ·
Do you have weather stripping on the cab, in other words is the door latch working but the door is sticking, either from adjustment, dovetail alignment post below, or weather stripping, you would know by pulling the latch to open position and bump the door with shoulder..? my weather stripping door seal I installed 22 years ago still to this day you have to bump the door with your shoulder to open..really tight seal, right side only..

#7 ·
Good question!
I am not sure, I can try to find out later.

I did conduct a bit of an experiment with the door open. So I "fooled" the door latch into thinking it was closed while it was open by shifting the position to closed and tried to use the door latch control, but it doesn't make that click sound. I pressed the plate that the door handle pin hits. The latch clicked and it moved to the open position.

I did this several times, but can't get that click sound by using the door latch control.

#8 ·
When you put all this together did you use white grease, its not water soluble, maybe thats the issue...not slippery enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.