Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

Help!

16K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnnyb 
#1 ·
Hey,
I have a 64 C10 that I did an engine swap. Put in a new 350 SB, Champion 4 core radiator, Flex fan with long water pump. 180 deg thermostat.
Here's my issue, The truck takes forever to warm up enough to open the thermostat and during this time it starts puking coolant from the overflow line. When the truck warms up enough to open the therm it heats up past 180 deg to 200.
I replaced the therm thinking it was stuck open but it's still doing the same thing.
Any ideas? Help me before I pull whats left of my hair out.

#7 ·
No on the heater, you say this is a new engine, do you have the paper work with the engine part number, it will tell you if this is a reverse water pump, or did you buy the water pump separate ? One way to tell for sure remove water pump, looking at the front it should rotate clockwise, use a flashlight and look at the impeller vanes, the cupping should be facing clockwise...

#8 ·
I built the engine myself. Its out of a 72 Camaro. The water pump is for that engine and was bought from either Jegs or Summit. I will find the paperwork for the water pump and check the part number and see what it says.
Thanks for the ideas guys.

#9 ·
To much advance will also have a big impact on over heating, you say you have no shroud, What is the distance from the fan to radiator? Vacuum leaks...?

#11 ·
12 Degrees before with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged vacuum port...? I`m thinking you have too much advance coming into play... what distributor you running..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.