Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

Carla, my 63 C20

17K views 57 replies 4 participants last post by  Downadirtroad 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had this project for awhile and haven't really started on it. I've got the itch bad and in a little better place to do it. It will be slow going I'm sure as I'm an amatuer and not filthy rich. Ha!
I want to bag it and drop it. The 350 motor was newly rebuilt but it's been sitting for a couple years. It's got a three speed tranny in it. I'm leaving the patina and doing some minor painting. It needs a lot. All the wiring, lights, and hoses and stuff. I own a tattoo shop and I want to put my logo on the doors. I just got a welder so I'm anxious to tackle the suspension. Still trying to decide if I should convert to C10.

See less See more
#38 ·
Just so you know its all C30 suspension, nothing else C10/20 will bolt up to this once you install on your frame...!

#39 ·
I'm thinking that might be OK. I never really wanted to go 5 lug with it I just wanted to get rid of the drum brakes so I could lower it. This way I keep the 8 lug and have dually's. It comes with the wheels I wanted to run and decent enough tires to get me started. That's worth the money right there. I have a buddy trying to talk me into putting my 63 cab on the 72 because of the longer wheel base. hahaha

#40 ·
So since I've decided I'm using the 72 frame I was able to get some work done today. I got the hubs and wheels back on the 63 so I can push her out of the garage. I got the engine out and into the frame of the 72. It's just laying there for now I needed somewhere to put it. I'll try to get the cab off sometime this week and get busy dialing the new frame in.

#41 ·
So you`re using the `72 frame, note that the body mounts will have to be fabbed up, they are in different positions from your older truck.

#42 ·
I've figured as much, thank you. I've read the radiator mounts and the frame horns too. I have a welder and some minimal skill and some friends with lots of skill. We should be able to get it done. There will be a few mods along the way with this thing I'm sure.

#43 ·
I'm back to keeping the 63 frame and swapping suspension over like I originally planned. Sometimes I guess I gotta go the long way around to get somewhere. hahaha! The 72 was needing more work the more I looked at it and the 157" wheelbase was looking longer and longer. Too long. So not only did I go back to the 63 but I bobbed the back to commit myself.

#44 ·
I had a couple hours before work today so I started tearing into the 72. I was able to get better measurements with the wheels off and it looks like I'll be able to use the rear end. I thought it was too narrow for the trailing arms. I'll just need to relocate mounts so I'm happy about that.

Beautiful morning to be working.

The 72 has mounts on top. Look at all those blocks! Haha! It was a motorhome.

This is about where the new axles will sit. I've got about 3/4" on each side.

#45 ·
The goal this weekend is to get the cab off my 63. I'd like to get the suspension off the 72 frame so they can haul it off. I'm tight on space around here and it's in the front drive. The missus will be glad when it's gone.
Just did Minor things this week like cleaning parts and organizing the garage and stuff. I scrounged up enough old wood to build a crude dolly to hold the cab. It's not pretty but it should work well.

#46 ·
No work on the truck this holiday weekend. I did spend some time in the garage cleaning and organizing. I got an area set up for welding and realized I was out of gas. lol So no welding. I spent the afternoon cleaning up a grill I got a few months ago. It's a six foot long commercials broiler. The previous owner said he converted it from natural gas to propane but all he did was change the connection. So I've got some work to do drilling holes and changing the rest over. It's a fun project.

#49 ·
Today was finally the day. I rolled her out of the garage to lift the cab off. I like the rear end like that. A little short flat bed is going to look pretty trick. I haven't been able to get back far enough from it to really check it out. I'm excited but I won't see her like this again for awhile.

Here's the contraption I made from scrap to attach to the cherry picker. Those brackets securing it are the U bolts brackets from 72 rear end. Kinda fun. lol

I had a buddy over to help steady the cab while we lifted it. It went super smooth. I did a lot of preparation. It was more preparation than I expected but I'm glad I put the time in.

Everything tucked away for the night. Now the real work begins.

#50 ·
I`ve seen several guys lift their cab off that way...Cool...! beer

#51 ·
Thanks. I did a lot research and that seemed to be the way to go with what I had. I'm glad I pulled it. This truck really was just a bunch of pieces put together to store until there was time for a rebuild. It never ran in its current state. I'm doing more than I had planned but I'm enjoying myself. I'll probably have to slow the pace for winter because of money. I'm doing this pay as I go and my work slows down for winter.

#55 ·
Wow, it was on it`s last leg....anim_63

#56 ·
I pulled the crossmember and everything else off the front today. I got one of the rear cab mounts off and I'll do the other tomorrow as well as remove the rear end. Then finish wire wheeling it up to get ready for paint. I hadn't planned on doing any if this but here I am. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.