Chevy C10 Truck Forums banner

Replacing fuel pump 94 c1500

12K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  TireSmoker 
#1 ·
Looking for best tips on replacing fuel pump on 1994 c1500 Silverado.
Going to have to do it in driveway, no lift.
Can i lower tank and get to top of it without jacking up truck?
Has anyone done the job this way?

#2 ·
Yes you can. That said it ain't easy. I changed one on the side of the road once. Use a lot of good penetrating oil if you have a compressor you can blow the dirt off top side. You'll be doing most of work from passenger side. If you can't jack it up any maybe you can drive the driver side up on ramp or blocks. anim_25

#3 · (Edited)
Fuel pump removal

Good idea I do have a compressor and maybe can jack up front and back enough to slide ramps under each tire. I'll have to use jack to lower tank cause there is fuel in it.
Was wondering about when I lower tank what about connections (tubing and such) will this bind or bend. Not sure how to handle that.

#5 ·
I find the easiest way is remove the bed.I se a shop(engine) crane and a length of square tubing acroos to balance bed.Disconnect wiring at rear and 3 screws at tank fill,jack up the bed and slide it back a couple of feet and tank unit will be wide open for service.No draining the tank or messing with one partially full.Much safer this way

#10 ·
The bed on my 93 and my 72 I have been able to move around with an engine hoist. Just be sure the legs are out. What I do is put a spreader in between the center posts holes and a chain with large hooks in the bottom of the pockets. That way it can't cave in on you and pick it with chain. If your chain is long enough put a loop in it so it dosen't slip.

#11 ·
Update fuel pump replacement

I used the bed removal approach. Moved it back a few feet and it made it much easier to get pump out and in.
My only other question is that when I was taking it out I noticed they had put
a lot grease on top of the area where all the tubing went into the tank, and I was wondering if I should do this also.
Any tips appreciated.

#14 ·
Replacing fuel pump on 94 c1500

Thanks for all the replies on this one.
I finally did remove the bed and it was the easiest way.

I used my tractor with bucket to lift (with a 2x4) braced across the back.
Just slid bed back far enough to rest on tires. The rest was pretty easy.
Glad I went that route. Saved a lot of time and headache.

Thanks again guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.